MARY L. HOUSER, CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT SINCE 1983
President and owner, Houser & Associates, PC, November, 2013 to present. Houser & Associates is a certified public accounting firm which works with our clients to provide tax and accounting services for individuals and small businesses. We also provide tax planning, practice before the Internal Revenue Service, and estate and trust accounting, consulting and tax preparation, and payroll services.
President and founding shareholder, Houser & Baiers, PC, 2005 to 2013, a certified public accounting firm providing accounting and tax services to individuals and small businesses.
Owner, Mary L. Houser, CPA, PLLC, 1997 to 2005. Founded and grew the firm to include more than 200 business and individual clients, which formed the nucleus of Houser & Baiers, PC in February, 2005.
Accounting Instructor, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, 1995 to 1997. Taught 4 sections per semester of financial and cost accounting to business and accounting majors.
Accounting Instructor, Kalamazoo Valley Community College and Davenport College, 1994 – 1995. Taught principles of financial and cost accounting at KVCC, taught intermediate accounting at Davenport.
Vice President of Finance, Enterprise Food Services, Inc., 1989 to 1994. Managed the financial functions of the Kalamazoo franchise of Little Caesars Pizza, which grew from 8 to 13 restaurants during tenure there; specifically including accounting and reporting, taxes, insurance, debt negotiation, loss prevention, and cost containment.
Tax Manager, Norman & Paulson PC, Certified Public Accountants, 1986-1989. Executive in charge of tax for Kalamazoo and Three Rivers offices. In charge of tax compliance and tax planning for individuals and small businesses.
Tax Manager, Ernst & Young, 1984 – 1986. Provided tax compliance and tax planning for individuals and corporations. Ernst & Young is one of the "big four" - the four largest CPA firms in the world. As such, it provided world-class training and experience.
Auditor, Ernst & Young, 1981 – 1984. Worked on audits of approximately 12 to 15 entities per year, both large and small. Tested internal controls. reviewed accounts, prepared adjustments, prepared financial statements.
Masters in Business Administration, Michigan State University, 1981. Accounting major.
Bachelor of Arts with high honor, Michigan State University, 1975. General Business, Pre-law major.
Certified QuickBooks Pro-Advisor. QuickBooks trainer. Ability to work with other accounting software packages.
Member Michigan Association of CPAs, Treasurer of The Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy; current Treasurer of the Southwest Michigan Intrepid Foundation, current audit committee chair, past deacon, past treasurer Portage United Church of Christ, past president Kalamazoo Network, member and past treasurer Professional Executive Association of Kalamazoo.
Married to Daniel Houser, computer scientist at Borgess Hospital. One grown son.
Staff Accountant, Houser and Associates, PC, June 2016 to Present
- Prepare Individual, Partnership, Corporate, and Estate returns
- Provide QuickBooks bookeeping and accounting services
- Provide weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual payroll services
- Tax planning
Internship, Houser & Associates, PC, February to April of 2016
Prepared individual and estate returns as well as small corporate and partnership returns.
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Western Michigan University, 2017. Accounting major.
- Minors in Economics and General Business
- Currently pursuing a Masters in the Science of Accountancy
- Plan to become a Certified Public Accountant in 2020
Staff Accountant, Houser & Associates, PC, October 2017 to Present
- Prepare Individual, Partnership, Corporate, and Estate tax returns
- Provide Quickbook and Payroll services
Tax Intern, Houser & Associates, PC, February to April 2017
Prepared Individual, Partnership, Estate, and Trust tax returns
Tax Intern, James & Springgate, PLC, February to April 2015 & February to April 2016
- Assisted senior managers and accounting professionals to organize 1099s and other tax-related documents
- Efficiently handled the preparation of 250+ tax returns for individual, business owners, multi-state tax filers, and trust using ProSystem FX Tax software to meet government requirements and deadlines, and client expectations
- Currently pursuing a Master of Science in Accountancy
- Plan to become a Certified Public Accountant in 2019
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Western Michigan University, 2015. Magna Cum Laude.
- Minors in Management and General Business
- Cat lover
- Love traveling
- Korean drama fan
- Houser & Associates, PC
- 8120 Moorsbridge Rd. Suite 102
- Portage, MI 49024
- Telephone: (269) 488-8200
- Fax: (269) 488-8208
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org